Friday, December 21, 2007

Rules by Cynthia Lord


I was anxious to read Rules because I had heard many good things about it and I saw many students buying it at the Book Fair.

from Barnes and Noble:
"Twelve-year-old Catherine just wants a normal life. Which is near impossible when you have a brother with autism and a family that revolves around his disability. She's spent years trying to teach David the rules-from "a peach is not a funny-looking apple" to "keep your pants on in public"-in order to stop his embarrassing behaviors. But the summer Catherine meets Jason, a paraplegic boy, and Kristi, the next-door friend she's always wished for, it's her own shocking behavior that turns everything upside down and forces her to ask: What is normal?"

What a great story! I loved the characters and I loved how Catherine shared her rules throughout the book.

Happy reading! If you read Rules, comment on this post and let me know how you liked it. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I read this book for the same reasons and I highly recommend it to anyone who has a sibling with autism, A.D.D. or any physical or learning disability. This book would also be insightful for anyone who has a friend with a sibling that has these types of challenges. It is an enjoyable story, a fairly quick read and it made me laugh and cry. Check it out!