Sunday, October 5, 2008

Uprising by Margaret Peterson Haddix


Anyone who knows me just a little bit knows that I DO judge books by their covers :)... I wasn't too sure about this book, because I didn't really like the cover. I was pleasantly surprised as I read this book - it is was interesting historical fiction novel about the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory fire - told from the point of views of 3 girls - Bella, Yetta, and Jane.

From Barnes and Noble:
This historical novel about New York City's Triangle Shirtwaist Factory and the catastrophic Factory fire hits its stride to offer a compelling message about labor, sacrifice and the price of freedom in America. Haddix follows three very different girls: naïve Bella from Italy, who becomes a strikebreaker; the feisty Yetta, a Jewish immigrant from Russia who spearheads the strikes; and the socially prominent Jane, raised to marry for status and prestige. The pace and interest pick up once the infamous 1910 strike begins and the girls' experiences collide.

Happy reading! If you read Uprising, comment on this post and let me know how you liked it. :)

No comments: