Friday, March 13, 2009

The Plain Janes by Cecil Castellucci and Jim Rugg


This graphic novel is a gem in my humble opinion. The first page I opened to at the beginning of the book had a small illustration of a sketch book with the words "art saves" on the cover. That illustration just had my attention immediately ... and I loved the rest of the book just as much.

from Barnes and Noble:
Caught in a terrorist attack, Jane changes hair, mindset, and-compelled by her frightened parents-city and school. Spurning the in-crowd, she recruits other outcast Janes to stage guerilla-style art attacks, tagged P.L.A.I.N.: People Loving Art in Neighborhoods. The hyperparanoid authorities are not amused, but P.L.A.I.N. wins over most of the other kids. The premise is intriguing, relevant, and disturbing, even as the resolution leaves more questions. When is an art attack sabotage, graffiti, or vandalism? How can people reinvent their lives despite fear?

Happy Reading! If you read The Plain Janes, comment on this post and let me know how you liked it! :)

No comments: