Sunday, September 20, 2009

Notes from a Midnight Driver by Jordan Sonnenblick


Many students have been encouraging me to read this ... and I am glad I finally did. This author does not disappoint - he does a terrific job of capturing characters personality and emotions. I was sad to see this story end.

From Amazon:
After drinking some vodka and taking his mom's car for a spin to his father's girlfriend's house, who just happens to be his former third-grade teacher, 16-year-old Alex Gregory finds himself on his neighbors' lawn with police yelling at him and a broken gnome under his car. It is hard to believe that Alex would do anything like this; most of the time he hangs out with his friend Laurie, a sassy petite karate expert, and plays guitar in the school jazz band. He is also trying to get over his parents' recent split. For drinking and driving, Alex is sentenced to 100 hours of community service at a nursing home with Solomon Lewis. Sol is a difficult, crotchety, eccentric old man with emphysema who lashes out at Alex in strange Yiddish phrases. Soon Alex grows found of Sol, who teaches him something about the guitar, respecting the elderly, and taking responsibility for his actions.

Happy Reading! If you read Notes from a Midnight Driver, comment on this post and let me know how you liked it! :)

1 comment:

Jack said...

I've read a book by this author. It was really good so it makes me really want to read this. Let me know if you have it in the library.