Thursday, July 19, 2007

East by Edith Pattou


I had put off reading East because of the length - it is quite long...right around 500 pages. I should of read it months ago! I started reading this Monday afternoon and finished it last night. I read it in 1 & 1/2 days - I could not put it down. :) East is on the Rebecca Caudill 2008 list.
East is the retelling of the folktale "East of the Sun and West of the Moon". You will also recognize elements of the the folktale "Beauty and the Beast." Many of you know that I love books that are retellings of classic folktales.

from Barnes and Noble: "Rose has always felt out of place in her family, a wanderer in a bunch of homebodies. So when an enormous white bear mysteriously shows up and asks her to come away with him--in exchange for health and prosperity for her ailing family--she readily agrees. The bear takes Rose to a distant castle, where each night she is confronted with a mystery. In solving that mystery, she loses her heart, discovers her purpose, and realizes her travels have only just begun."

I loved the voices in this novel - each chapter is told from a different character's point of view. The author does a terrific job of capturing the emotion and personality of each character, especially the white bear.

Happy reading! If you read East, comment on this post and let me know how you liked it. :)

No comments: